Gluten Free Galaxy Vegan Pie Crust Mix
This mix allows you to create our delicious gluten free and vegan pie crust right at home!
Our pie crust mix includes 1 pound (16 oz) of pie dough flour to pair with your choice of shortening and ice cold water. Makes top and bottom of about 2.5 full sized pies (depends on your size container/design).
Great for use in your own recipe or let us make it easy for you and use ours! We've even made a pie crust "how to" video on our YouTube channel to help you out. Watch and subscribe here -> Gluten Free Galaxy YouTube Recipes
Like with all of our products our stuffing is free from gluten, egg, dairy, soy, corn, canola & nuts, as well as being vegan!
Ingredients: Potato Starch, Millet Flour, Tapioca Starch, Powdered Sugar (Corn Free), Amaranth Flour, Sorghum Flour, Flaxseed, Quinoa Flour, Salt, Xanthan Gum, Yeast, Ascorbic Acid, Ginger
Directions For Use:
1. Prepare 75g of shortening for every 100 g of pie crust mix that you plan to use by slicing the needed amount of shortening into small cubes (about 1/2” x 1/2”). Place the shortening cubes into the refrigerator or freezer until use. *You will want them to be very cool, so for a quick cool down place them into the freezer or if you have more time you may put them into the refrigerator several hours in advance.*
2. Prepare 25g of ice cold water for every 100 g of pie crust mix that you plan to use by tiering your scale with a container on it and adding the appropriate weight of equal parts ice and water. The set aside for use. *You will want the water to be ICE cold, so do this step when you are ready to make your pie dough.*
3. Pour contents of GFG Pie Crust Mix into mixing bowl. One full sized pie top or bottom will use about 100g of prepared pie dough (depending on your personal preference of pie size & crust thickness of course).
4. Sprinkle 1/3 of the needed cold shortening cubes into the mixing bowl then mix on low for 10-15 seconds. Repeat this process with the second and third parts of the needed cold shortening. Be careful not to over mix. You’re looking for more of a crumbly texture rather than a finished dough at this point.
5. Turn mixer to low and slowly pour the needed amount of ice cold water down the side of the bowl & into the mix. This will bring your dough together, but again, be careful not to over mix.
6. Scrape contents of bowl onto a piece of plastic wrap (or other food safe wrap) then wrap up the dough and place it into the refrigerator to cool back down. If you would like, you may portion your dough out into the needed pieces at this point. For Example: If you made 200g of dough and would like a top & bottom pie crust, so you can separate 100g each into different wrappers for ease of use later.
7. Retrieve the completed pie crust dough once it has cooled back down (at least 20-30 min in the refrigerator) & unwrap it from its covering. Lightly dust your rolling area/surface & rolling pin with remaining mix and/or preferred on hand gf flour. Then place dough onto that surface.
8. Roll out pie dough until it is about 2” wider in circumference than the pie tin or pan you plan to use. Do not press down heavily on the dough while rolling it out, but instead lightly roll out the dough while constantly flipping & rotating it to keep it lightly floured throughout the process.
9. Place your pie dough into the desired baking dish & remove excess dough from the edges. Poke the bottom & the sides of the crust with a fork a couple of times to prevent bubbling. Use foil with pie weights or beans as in traditional pie baking if preferred.
10. To par-bake your crust, bake on 350 degrees for 10-15 min or until lightly browned or fill prepared pie dough shell with preferred filling and bake per your filling’s instructions.
11. If relevant, fill par-baked crust with desired filling & top with preferred dough amount/style. Then bake once more as needed per your filling’s recipe. If the recipe calls for a longer than a 15 minute bake time you may wish to cover the crust with aluminum foil as to prevent the crust from burning.
12. Enjoy a taste of gluten free-vegan comfort, inclusion & innovation!
Don’t forget to take a picture & tag #MyGFG